Sunday, September 14, 2008

Why we live in Georgia






















People often ask us why we moved across the country from Oregon to Georgia. This weekend was a good example. We went up the Savannah River in front of all the industry (fun for me and a few other mill rats on the boat), down River street and then out past Tybee Island into the Atlantic. We went to a small island just across the intercoastal waterway from Hilton Head. The island is only accessible by boat and has ~50 permanent residents. It was beautiful.
















Mr. Brent (also relocated from the West) and Austin, they are two of a kind.














Austin showing off his size next to one of the huge container ships, Savannah is the the 3rd largest port in the country and the largest on the East coast.














This also was our 6 year anniversary, Happy Anniversary.














The shrimp boats pull up their nets where the river spreads in the ocean near Tybee, the dolphins swim behind the boats and eat the small catch that goes through the nets as they pull them up.


















































Austin and me tag team working.


















They are incredible creatures, very beautiful.














The work gang cruisin' down the river. Steve has a sound system on his boat and was playing Jimmy Buffett for us off his IPOD the entire day. Perfect.



































Here is the dock at the island we went to.














This is the local restaurant where we had delicious seasoned and grilled quasadillas for lunch. Also I learned that they hang zip lock bags of water around the kitchen to keep the flies away. Weird I know but there was not a fly to be seen inside the place.





























We also stopped in at the First African Baptist Church, this is an OLD building, now they use it as an island museum. There is a newly built Church just down the "road."







































An old winery that is now a place where one of the residents sells jewerly.

















We didn't take many pictures of the beach because we were all in the water. If you open this picture you can see Hilton Head in the back ground with development on it. It was literally like having your own private beach on an island. Amazing, the water was so warm and there were sand dollars everywhere and shrimp will jump into your hand. This was the first time we had seen shrimp in the wild.































They use golf carts on the island to get around the dirt roads.

"Captain" Steve and his wife Carrie go out to the island frequently and know the locals, they took us on their boat. Steve worked on PM20 before I started out here. He left to work for a different company in the area hence me getting the job. They are a lot of fun and know the area well, being with Steve is like having your own personal tour guide.
















We spent the afternoon at the local park, it had a very nice new play ground, a big fire pit burning, a bathroom =), and a bar with sattelite TV playing the Georgia football game hence Carrie and me staying put. From this side of the island you can see River street buildings, the bridge to SC and the cranes for the Port.
















There were a lot of locals hanging out here in the afternoon and Austin enjoyed listening to stories around the fire.














8 comments:

Esther said...

Wow - Georgia does seem like the "forever" playground!! Even though we miss you, I'm glad you are enjoying it!! Now I have another place to add to my list of things to do when we next come!
PS I love your skirt!

Esther said...

PS Happy Anniversary! I thought about you this weekend. The weather was gorgeous here - just like your wedding weekend (only it hasn't started raining yet).

Kristy and Mike said...

Wow - that sounds like a really nice anniversary weekend. I would love to see dolphins that close!

Erica said...

I'm so jealous that you got to feed the dolphins! I would have loved that. :) When I visited in May, I was excited just to see their dorsal fins as they swam by. How I wish I could get close enough to feed one!

Sand Castle said...

Happy anniversary! (late) I did think of you guys, I can't believe it's been six years, so cool. ANyway, I was just looking at your pix and seeing how warm and fun it was then was thinking that every "beach" photo we have (besides the ones from when we were out there) includes us in warm clothes and usually rain gear, and I thought to myself, "dang we moved to the wrong coast!" :) Everything you guys do looks so FUN! and WARM! Not that it isn't warm here right now because it is, but the coast? not so much. :) We miss you guys and wish we could come out there again soon. Glad all is well there! Give the pups a pet from us!

Andy said...

So the men were doing other things while the women were at the bar watching a football game. Georgia must be like a whole different planet...

Brent said...

Nice account of a great day...I didn't realize it was your guys' anniversary! You may have told me...but it looks like I had a beer in my hand the entire day.

You should try posting one of the videos that I gave you.

Kersten said...

Looks like fun! Happy anniversary!