Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Bo and Daisy got festive for the holiday.












Austin and I went down town for the annual St. Patrick's day Parade and Festivities. Savannah has what I believe is the largest St. Patrick's day celebration in the states. It is amazing how many people can fit in one town. The entire downtown area is closed to vehicles for the day and much of it for the full weekend.












The parade consists of a lot of marching bands/bag pipe bands, floats, "important" people, and Irish clans or families. It last 5 hours, we got there at 8:30 for a parade that starts at 10:30 to get seats, and we sat at the end of the parade so it didn't start for us until 11:45.












The Budweiser wagon, pretty amazing horses. And the dog is just adorable.











We sat just outside of Chippewa Square, this is a picture into the square across the street.












This was my favorite float. JCB manufacturers equipment in Savannah next to the airport.












More parade watching....the parade continues.












After the parade we got lunch at a BBQ place just outside downtown to relax a little then headed to River street. Here is a view of River Street from the Hyatt Elevator above. We headed out of downtown for home around 8 when it started getting dark. During the day there were too many people out for my comfort and it just gets more and more busy as the night goes until ~1, then it slows down again.















This is on the river side of River street looking across the road up at Tubby's (Kirb and Meg this is where we ate lunch).













Austin thought the flowers were pretty and wanted a picture of me with them, so here you go.











We went to the Pink House in the afternoon to again sit and relax a little.











Then to City Market to again meet up with our friends. This is the entrance to City Market on the Wild Wings side.













Some of the group on the patio at Ruth's Chris.












On the walk to the car as the sun set.




4 comments:

Esther said...

Amazing!! I admire you - I don't think I could deal with such crowds. It seems they are pretty well behaved though!

Cheryl said...

Thank you for showing us these pictures of St. Patrick's Day. If I was there, I think I would especially enjoy seeing the bag pipe bands marching under the live oak trees.

Sand Castle said...

Looks like fun! Wish we could have sat there and enjoyed a drink with you. :) Brings back fun memories and makes me want to come visit again!

Erica said...

Dad says he wished he could have been there. He would have worn his leprechaun tie. :) I think he secretly wishes he was Irish.